Thursday, August 24, 2006

Catnip Potting Soil?


I have no plants in my house, as either I will kill them by not watering them or Kellie will kill them by attacking them. I'm also paranoid about the fact that some plants are poisonous to cats and I'm afraid I'll unknowingly pick the wrong plant to bring home. Over the years I have tried growing cat grass for Kellie, she loved it, but she always pulled it out by the roots so it never lasted very long. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Basil plant at the Farmers Market. I thought Kellie could nibble on it, it would do her no harm, and if she didn't like it I would make pesto. Well she LOVED it! The poor thing was growing so fast it was tipping over in it's little pot, so yesterday I purchased a bigger pot and some potting soil. As soon as I opened the bag of potting soil Kellie came charging over, rubbing her cheeks against the bag, all excited. I began pouring the soil into the pot, very carefully so as not to make a mess, when Kellie stuck her head under the stream of soil and nudged her nose in the earth. She had soil on her head, she was smooshing her nose around the dirt, it was quite a site. I finally had to pick her up and take her out on the deck to dust her off. When I put the soil away she whined and cried trying to get into the cupboard. I don't know why she was so excited about potting soil, but something about it intrigued her. Hopefully, she won't dig it out of the pot!

1 comment:

Dma said...

Kellie's obsession with the soil is weird- now I'm curious what the heck made that so appealing to her... Speaking of cats eating plants... don't ever buy an azalea. Beautiful plant but Max the cat got into one once and ended up hospitalized for days. I later read on the internet it's one of the most deadly plants to cats...